Your email account credentials and authentication
• When you add an email account (Gmail or Office 365) in Astro, we do not receive your login credentials, instead we present the secure login/authentication page from Google or Microsoft.
• Once you've entered your username and password into the Google or Microsoft login form, you are returned to the Astro app to continue your account setup. Therefore, we never know or store the password to your email account.
How we use your information
• Upon permission that you grant us when registering an email account with our service, we sync your email and related account data (“user data”) to our servers in the Amazon Web Services cloud, where the data is encrypted. We then use your user data to provide, maintain, and improve the Astro Services.
• Our automated systems analyze user data, including emails, to provide you personally relevant features, such as email insights or email categorization.
• No humans will use your data in a manner that would identify you as an individual in order to develop the Astro Services.
We place strict controls over access by our employees to the content you make available through our services, and we are committed to ensuring that your content is not seen by anyone who should not have access to it.
• Operating our services requires that some employees have access to the systems which store and process content. But, no Astro employee or agent will look at your content unless we have your express permission for us to do so; except that we may access and disclose certain User Data if we have a good-faith belief that such access is necessary for a significant security or safety reason, including to meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
• We have technical controls and audit policies in place to ensure that any access to user content is logged.
• All of our employees and contract personnel are bound to our policies regarding user content and we treat these as the most serious issues within our company.
Deletion of user content
We provide the option for users to delete their account and content at any time. Within 24 hours of user-initiated deletion of their content, we will irreversibly delete all information from currently-running production systems. Any backups we keep will be destroyed within 14 days.
How do I delete an account?
• In the Preferences tab of the Mac app and Settings in the iOS app, select Accounts and then select the account you want to delete from the list of your email address(es).
• Select "Delete Account", this will remove all locally cached account data.
• To delete all data, check the box "Also delete account on servers".
• Then delete the app from your device. No information will be stored.
• If you change your mind, just download the app again and add your email address account
Data Encryption In Transit and At Rest
• Our services support the latest recommended secure authentication and encryption code and protocols to encrypt all traffic in transit (data that flows to and from Astro).
• We also encrypt all user data at rest (meaning, inactive data that is stored).
• We use two-factor authentication for all server access in our production environment, and we maintain extensive system logging and monitoring.
• Firewalls are configured according to industry best practices and we run our services inside Amazon Web Services’ Virtual Private Cloud (VPC).
Here’s why we ask for permissions when adding an account:
- We collect email information so we sync your email with our email apps and to enable our machine learning algorithms.
- We collect contact information so we can auto-fill email addresses.
- We collect calendar information so we can enable you to accept or decline invites from Astro.
Astro is also a platform, meaning we will soon integrate with more tools. We currently integrate with file sharing and contact services including Dropbox, Quip, Google Drive, Box, iCloud, FullContact, Gmail, Office 365. When sharing data with partners, we share the minimal amount possible to ensure the integration works as intended. This practice will remain in place as we continue to develop integrations.
It may also help to explain our business model. We plan to continue providing a free version of our product, while rolling out a paid product for teams within a year. Our revenue will depend on users loving Astro and upgrading, and not on selling your data. We think this is a much healthier and honest way to build a business.
If you have specific questions or concerns about our policies, we invite you to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Uncovered a bug or issue?
Please let us know immediately. Send us a message using chat at the bottom of this page, or send a message to email@example.com.