Welcome and thanks for downloading Astro. Check out our video for a 1 minute Astro overview, then download our app.
1. Download Astro for Android and add your email address
Download Astro for Android in the Google Play Store. We currently support Android version 5.1 (Lollipop MR1) and later and devices that come with Google Play Services.
Note: We do not offer support for Android tablets at this time.
If you have a Mac or iOS device, we recommend you download those apps, too:
- Mac: Download from our website, then check out the Quick Start Guide
- iOS: Download in the App Store, then check out the Quick Start Guide
When you first open the app, Astrobot (our built-in chatbot and email assistant) will walk you through adding your first email account. We currently support Gmail and Office 365 email addresses, with support for more email services coming soon.
Once you’ve added your first account, you can add additional email accounts by typing "add account" to Astrobot.
2. Meet Astrobot
After you've added an account, Astrobot will prompt you to take a quick tour to teach you the basics of using Astro. You can take the tour anytime by typing "tour".
After the tour, Astrobot will ask you if you want to Zap your Inbox. This is a great way to clean up your inbox and get a fresh start. Astrobot will walk you through a couple of suggestions for cleaning your inbox. Just say yes or no to each suggestion--Astrobot won't do anything without asking.
To discover more things Astrobot can do, type "ask astro" or check out our list of commands for Astrobot. Astrobot will continue to suggest actions you can take to clean your inbox and remind you of important messages and questions from your emails. When you see Astrobot's dots animating in the bottom of your screen, Astrobot has a message for you.
3. Priority and Other Inboxes
You have two inboxes: Priority and Other. Priority inbox is for emails from the people you contact the most. Other inbox is for emails that don't need immediate attention, like newsletters and promotions.
The more you use Astro, the smarter it gets at sorting. If you notice an email in the wrong inbox, open the message, tap the 3 vertical dots at the top right of the message, and choose 'Move to Non-Priority Inbox' (or 'Move to Priority Inbox'). Astro learns each time you move a message manually.
4. Set up your Swipes & Notifications
You can get through your inbox faster with Swipes. Swipe left on a message to snooze it, or swipe right to archive it.
Try snoozing a message for later by swiping left. Choose one of Astro’s default snooze times, or customize your own. You also have the option to Snooze to Desktop on mobile. Select this option when you're on your phone, and the email will reappear the next time you open your Astro desktop app.
You can customize your swipe settings by tapping the Settings gear icon > Managing Email > Swipe Actions.
You can also triage your emails using the icons at the bottom of an email by tapping the icons.
Astro helps you limit distractions and focus on what's important, so we've made sure you can customize your notifications such that you're only alerted when an important email comes in. Just set your notifications to Priority only. Go to Settings > Notifications (at the bottom of Settings screen) to adjust your settings for each email account. Learn more in this article.
5. Compose an email, schedule it, and track it
To compose a new message, select the new message icon in the top right of the screen. A new message window will open, allowing you to start your message.
When composing a new message, you'll see a few options before you hit send:
- Send Later - Schedule an email to be sent at a better time. Learn more in our Send Later article.
- Track Opens - Get a notification from Astrobot and on the email when your email is opened by a recipient. Learn more in our Email Tracking article.
- Track Replies - Select a time you need to hear back, and get a notification from Astrobot if you don't receive a reply by that time. Learn more in our Email Tracking article.
- Archive after Send - Email goes straight to your Archive folder after you send your reply.
6. Check out our integrations with Slack and Alexa
Our Slack integration helps you work across Slack and email. There are 3 main features:
- Manage your inbox from Slack. Receive, reply, snooze, delete, and archive emails without leaving Slack.
- Search across both email and Slack in one place. And we've made it easy to Share Emails to Slack (a Channel or a Direct Message) from Astro Email as well.
Just connect your email and authorize Slack by going to Preferences > Slack to set up the integration.
With Astrobot for Alexa, you can catch up on email through your Amazon Echo. Ask Alexa to Snooze, Delete, Archive, Star, or send Quick Replies to emails. To set up, go to the Astrobot Alexa Skill page, authorize Amazon, and connect your email address.
7. Tell us what you think
We love hearing from you. Type "Feedback [message]" to Astrobot to let us know what you think or what you'd like to see on our product roadmap.
- We support Android version 5.1 (Lollipop MR1) and later
- We only support devices that come with Google Play Services.
- We don't support devices based on the Android Open Source Project (AOSP), but our app might still work on these devices. If your device didn't come with the Google Play app installed, your device is likely based on the AOSP
- We provide limited support for Amazon’s Fire OS devices